Saturday, May 26, 2007

A Visit to Destination Cafe

Finally made it down to Destination Cafe on Thursday. Arrived too late to see staff roast and grind the coffee, something my boss wanted me to observe. But everything turned out fine; Jeff Taylor, one of the cafe's two managers, was extremely pleasant. He made me feel both welcome and important, and I appreciated it very much.

The cafe is located on Lakeshore Boulevard in the heart of Port Credit right along the shore of Lake Ontario. It's a busy place down there; traffic is heavy and the area is quite densely populated. Port Credit is a community located within the greater city of Mississauga, a very large suburban area that in turn is part of a region sometimes known as the "Golden Horseshoe," which includes the cities of Hamilton and Toronto. This region is one of the major powerhouses of the Canadian economy; it can get quite hectic around here.

Destination Cafe occupies a small building that looks like most of the other edifices lining the busy boulevard. The cafe area itself is small, and is designed mainly for take-out business. But customers who have need of the Internet are quite welcome to take advantage of a computer that has been placed beside the window and have their coffee at the same time.

Jeff Taylor, the afternoon manager, clearly enjoys his work. He has a thorough grasp of his responsibilities, and seems to genuinely care about the well-being and comfort of his staff. Talking to me, he was both friendly and forthcoming in all his answers to my questions, a few of which might have seemed somewhat personal in nature. So I was fortunate to learn so much more about how Destination Cafe makes coffee, and came to know Jeff better as well.

I will be writing more about what I have learned later. For now, however, I would just like to extend my sincerest thanks to Jeff and everyone else I met at the cafe for making me feel like somebody special. It doesn't always happen that way in life, believe me.

No comments: