Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Superior Coffee Taste: The French Press Revisited

Around midnight I decided to put to use the French Press that my boss at Destination Cafe, Shirley H., lent to me back in September. I have definitely decided to place one on my wish list for Christmas. If Christmas fails to deliver, by the time New Year has come and gone I will be shopping around for some deals. Whatever the outcome, I promise to keep readers posted on my progress.

As chance would have it, I had just enough of the Peruvian coffee that came from Destination Cafe back in the fall; enough for a couple of cups of good, bold coffee. It is of course quite stale by now. But given the fact that most of the over-the-counter coffee sold to consumers is in exactly that condition, I was not particularly disturbed by that fact.

I have by now become quite accustomed to using the Press for my coffee. It has yet to supplant my usual diet of tea, but it has become so superior to ordinary coffee purchased outside that I no longer need to make an excuse to prepare coffee at home. In general, I would say that the coffee I am now drinking at home is better than anything I can get outside.

I like my coffee hot and sweet, with milk or cream. Preparing the coffee tonight, I particularly noted the presence of the foam on top of the liquid as I poured it into the cup, a characteristic that has never failed to manifest itself. It indicated to me a rich texture that tonight in particular was reminiscent of good cocoa! (This was no doubt due to the liberal amount of sugar I introduced to the beverage.)

I will be curious about whether the type of French Press I end up purchasing will be capable of providing me the taste experience I am getting on a regular basis right now. For instance, do French Presses made of glass produce coffee inferior to those made of metal? One thing is for sure: To drink coffee like this on a regular basis is worth whatever money I end up spending in the search for my very own French Press.

No comments: