Tuesday, November 1, 2011

French Press Lives Up To Its Lofty Reputation

Finally managed to make it down to Destination Cafe last Thursday. Got there around two o'clock in the afternoon, just in time for the Thursday Drop-In, an occasion during which people can drop by and have some coffee and chat awhile. I was one of the last to arrive, and I was fortunate: There was one chair left in the crowded room located upstairs from the cafe. Being a relative stranger to the drop-in, I found myself becoming the centre of attention for a while. One or two people were interested in the fact that I had written a novel; I was asked what it was about, which publishers had I sent it to and so on. During this time, I met a number of friendly people, even exchanging phone numbers with one of them.

After the Drop-In, I went downstairs to Destination Cafe itself to borrow the French Press my boss Shirley had offered to lend me; Rob D. the day manager showed me how to use it.

So in due course, after having pulled off another one of my all-night bouts of wakefulness, I have finally gotten around to trying out the French Press for the first time. Following Rob's instructions, I spooned about four heaping tablespoons of roasted and ground coffee into the bottom of the press, adding boiling water to the mix until it was about four fifths full. Then I let it steep for about three minutes, occasionally stirring. Once the three minutes had elapsed, I pushed the filtre as far down as it would go into the press and covered it with the lid, which was attached to the filtre. Then I poured the coffee into my favorite mug, which already had milk and sugar in it.

I was somewhat concerned that there would be a lot of coffee grounds in my coffee cup; I was using Peruvian coffee taken from the batch acquired while I was at Destination Cafe in September, so it was more finely ground than what Rob had recommended (he had told me that the coffee should have a coarse grind when it was being used in the French Press). My fears were groundless, however, no pun intended. The coffee was smooth and balanced on the palate, having a complex presence that more than compensated me for the time I took to prepare it.

I have almost finished the first cup of coffee now. There seems to be a complete lack of bitterness in the coffee. All in all, a delightful experience, and one that stands out as one of the best coffee experiences I have had the good fortune to enjoy.

No comments: