Sunday, May 23, 2010

Coffee on Victoria Weekend Adds to BBQ's Success

Today I was invited over to my sister's residence for a barbecue and a day to be spent in her large backyard. The weather was just right for an occasion like this one. The sun was shining, the breeze perfect and the temperature hovering in the low 70s (or 21 or 22 degrees Celsius). To keep us company were two dogs, a number of cats that lived in the surrounding neighborhood and were almost exclusively of the outdoor variety, as well as the usual assortment of bird life that can be found in the surrounding trees and bushes of any suburban locale.

Driving up to Brampton from the Mississauga area, my mother displayed her characteristic sense of whimsy and stopped at a local gas station that sold coffee. Once there, I hurried into the shop and asked if they sold hot coffee. Fortunately, they did; I was directed a few yards down the aisle where a counter with two formidable and futuristic-looking coffee dispensers could be seen.

Having located the milk and sugar, I proceeded to pour coffee into two paper cups. To me the coffee looked as if it had been waiting all day to be consumed. Nevertheless, I hurriedly paid the attendant several dollars and got back into the car -- but not before handing through the window my mother her coffee. We then spent a very agreeable interval driving the rest of the way to Brampton. The coffee was surprisingly refreshing, and on the strong side.

Later that evening, after an afternoon playing fetch with the dogs and dining on burgers and potato salad, we had some dessert and strong coffee. I distinctly remember us having a conversation about the merits of strong coffee over weak. Personally, I don't mind drinking strong coffee -- I just drink less of it, as it achieves all the necessary effects with the first cup. We all agreed in any event that strong coffee is to be preferred over the weaker version, and that it is better to have a strong cup of coffee than none at all.

The question that begs to be answered is whether a cup of weak coffee has any real merit and when it becomes time to switch to tea. Personally, tea is one of those constants in life that help my time go by so pleasantly, affording all the effects of coffee as well as a few of its own.

Readers should feel free to leave their own thoughts on what makes for a nice time: coffee or tea, and on what sort of occasion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.