Tuesday, May 1, 2007

A Jablum's Taste Experience Recounted

My resistance having been finally worn down, I broke out the burlap package that contained Jablum's coffee this evening. Tearing open the purple tin foil bag that lay within the burlap covering, I inhaled deeply of the contents. Immediately my nostrils were smitten with the pleasant aroma of fresh coffee.

I happen to like my coffee strong, so I was generous in the amount of ground coffee I used in the coffee maker, a 12-cup Black and Decker model. I then proceeded to wait with anticipation for the results.

As I waited, I was at first concerned that I had been too generous with the amount of coffee I had doled out into the basket filter. The directions on the package recommend two level table spoons per one cup serving of water, but in my eagerness and haste I used somewhat more. But I was not disappointed. Although the smell of fresh coffee was strong even to my tobacco-dulled nose, the coffee itself tastes surprisingly smooth, leaving a distinct tangy sensation on the tongue. The bitterness associated with the mass-produced stuff is completely absent, and the flavour is a remarkably complex experience, at once subtle and powerful.

Following the recommendations of the manufacturer, I have placed the coffee into an airtight container inside the refrigerator, where I hope the coffee will retain its freshness until the next time I sample the delights contained within.

My only complaint at present has nothing to do with the coffee itself, but only with the coffee maker I am using to prepare the coffee I am drinking. From what I have been told by those more knowledgeable than I, coffee-makers in general do not get the water sufficiently hot to maximize the full potential of the coffee being used. I am not sure how to address this situation at present, but I will let readers know when I come across any solutions.

No comments: