Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Blue Mountain Coffee Revisited

More on the Jablum's coffee my brother brought back for me from Jamaica: Apparently, Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee is just about the most expensive variety of coffee available on the market today. From what I have gleaned from other web sites on the subject, coffee grown on higher altitudes is of a higher grade than those beans grown on flatlands, tending to be less bitter and more mild in taste. Only coffee grown on altitudes of between 3000 to 5500 feet in Jamaica has the right to be called "blue mountain coffee." Lower altitude coffee that is grown on elevations of between 1500 to 3000 feet in Jamaica is referred to as "high mountain" while "low mountain" is a phrase reserved for coffee grown at elevations of below 1500 feet.

As for the coffee's distinctive burlap packaging, a reason for this has been provided by my friend Dave L.: Apparently, the use of burlap goes back to colonial times. Burlap has been a popular material in Jamaica for many years, mostly because of its durability and relatively low cost. It was used frequently in the old days as cloth for clothing, and still is worn today by natives on ceremonial occasions.

And as for what blue mountain coffee tastes like: that remains to be seen. I want to use up my reserves of Maxwell House before going on to Jablum's, mainly because I'm afraid that once I start drinking premium coffee, I won't want to go back to the old stuff.

No comments: