Thursday, August 9, 2012

How Conversation over Dinner Turned to Coffee

In spite of the rainy weather, I had a very pleasant day today. My Mom dropped by around 4:00 pm for tea and conversation, a stay that turned out to include dinner as well. We elected to stay at my place for dinner, as we are both on a budget and as I had just gone grocery shopping a couple of days before. So it was that I suggested a steak sandwich for dinner, complete with tomatoes, onions and a little mayonnaise. The meal turned out to be ample fare for our appetites, though I must admit that the steaks were too much on the rare side for my liking.

As we ate our dinner, my Mom mentioned that she was out of coffee. I asked her how often she drank coffee and she replied that she would usually start her day with a cup or two. I thought about it awhile and said that I had in my possession an unopened bag of Destination Cafe coffee that I could let her have. This coffee is about six months old, having been roasted and ground back in November of last year. I mentioned that the coffee was completely stale etc. but probably no worse than anything else she purchased off the shelf in your average store. She asked me where one could purchase fresh coffee and I immediately mentioned Destination Cafe as probably the most convenient way. Mom then asked me how often I made it down to the cafe. "Once or twice a year," I said, somewhat regretfully.

The conversation got me to thinking about the cafe and all the wonderful people I know there. I plan to definitely make a trip down to the Lakeshore area and touch base with my fellow staff, many of whom work in the cafe itself. One objective that I have is to pay a visit to the Port Credit Farmer's market, which is open for business every Saturday mornings until October. Destination Cafe has a booth there as well and I have never actually been there, a serious omission on my part.

A short while later, my Mom departed for home, as she wanted to be back before sundown. (She avoids driving at night for the most part.) Perhaps I will make a cup of coffee myself soon, with the help of the French Press Destination Cafe has loaned me and some Peruvian coffee that I still have remaining.  

Happy coffee drinking!

No comments: