Saturday, March 13, 2010

Tea and Coffee Without Cigarettes No Big Change

Today I think it might be a good idea to address a rather controversial subject that I have been skirting around for some time: The one concerned with smoking and the consumption of caffeine.

For approximately 37 years I have been a smoker of cigarettes and a drinker of coffee and tea. The two habits have gone along with one another in all that time with no complications or problems. But recently I have found it necessary to give up the smoking of cigarettes and all things related to tobacco.

You might think that this change of habit would have resulted in a change to my coffee and tea drinking as well, but in point of fact it has not. I still enjoy my coffee and tea-drinking with the same gusto that I always have. It has been precisely two months to the day since I have given up smoking and I find that drinking coffee and tea remains as satisfactory an activity as was the case beforehand. If anything, I savor my tea and coffee even more now than previously.

My non-smoking behavior remains a day-to-day challenge that is in constant danger of reverting to the previous situation in which cigarettes played an important role in my life, but for now I revel in the new-found freedom that not smoking affords to me. No longer do I have to include the cost of smoking into my budget. And now that I am off the patch as well, I can actually start to save some money.

So here's hoping that tea and coffee can play an even more important role in my life than before, now that smoking has been eliminated from the equation....

No comments: