Sunday, February 7, 2010

Teaopia an Escape from the Everyday

Last Monday while shopping at the local mall I chanced to visit a tea shop called Teaopia. It was a pleasantly upscale-looking establishment, reminiscent of Starbucks or Second Cup. The shop's menu was extensive, featuring dozens of various types of tea, which were arranged rather like wine bottles in racks that filled up an entire wall of the shop. Feeling rather overwhelmed, I selected the first tea that caught my eye, which was called "White Butterfly."

As I waited the requisite three minutes for my tea to brew, I mentioned to the server that I wrote a blog on tea and coffee. "In that case, you might like to have this," she said, handing me a booklet with the title "Teaopia." In this booklet was contained descriptions of a wide variety of teas, including White Butterfly, the tea I had selected from the menu. According to the booklet, White Butterfly "is revered as one of the finest Chinese White Teas. (It) is produced in the Yunnan province where only the youngest leaves are gathered in the few days of early spring."

Taking my brewed tea to a nearby table, I slowly sipped my tea from the paper cup that had been provided. The tea was a translucent gold, and possessed a taste that was delicate, clean and sweet.

All in all, my visit to Teaopia was a very pleasant way to end my visit to the mall, and well worth the three and a half dollars I spent for the brew.

No comments: