Saturday, February 20, 2010

Coffee, Pancakes and Sausages for Dinner

Last Tuesday, my mother invited me to a church-sponsored event in which pancakes and sausages were served for six dollars. The money collected was to be passed onto a charity known as Sharelife, an organization that among other things operates a food bank in the area for those in need.

The meal was held from five to seven o'clock in the evening, and took place in a school gymnasium. My mother and I arrived early, and the crowd was sparse; only about 50 people had arrived so far. Once seated, we were served two sausages and three pancakes on a paper plate, along with plastic utensils. Coffee was also served in paper cups. The coffee had been donated by Tim Hortons, and was quite acceptable, considering the venue.

Not having eaten that day, I was quite hungry, and quickly downed the meal. I found myself hoping that seconds would be available, to no avail. I was informed by a pretty young teenager that there would be only one plate per patron. Oh, well, I thought to myself, the meal was for charity after all.

After the meal, my mother and I lingered for a time, speaking to two of the parish priests who had recently arrived, as well as a couple of church-goers who had joined us for the meal. All in all, the event was a very pleasurable one.

No comments: