Friday, July 17, 2009

A Memorable Blend by Second Cup

Yesterday morning, after having pulled one of my famous all-nighters, I decided to indulge in some early morning coffee drinking. After having used up what was left of some Maxwell House that I seem to have had for ages, I found a small red package of coffee in the side of my fridge. Produced by the Second Cup organization -- which I believe is a Canadian company -- the attractive container called the coffee Sumatra Mandheling, below which in much smaller writing: Asia-Pacific. It characterized itself as a medium dark roast and was already ground.

I had a total of two cups of this blend and found it to be warm and woody with a slightly nutty aftertaste. There was only a hint of bitterness that was readily compensated by milk and sugar, which is how I like to drink my coffee. These two cups of coffee were definitely superior to another cup of coffee that I had later in the morning while over at the local convenience store.

All this makes me wonder what I am really missing. What would coffee that is freshly roasted taste like? The only place where I know such can be obtained is at Destination Cafe. Starbucks coffee, which I drink frequently, is roasted fully a month before it is finally consumed. I don't know the status of the coffee served by Second Cup, but I will investigate and let readers know in the near future. Look forward to a full write up of Second Cup as well.

Happy coffee drinking!

No comments: