Saturday, March 21, 2009

Starbucks Employee Makes A Positive Impact In Her Work

After having visited Starbucks yesterday morning with a friend for coffee and conversation, I decided to linger for a while and have another cup before returning home. It was a fine spring day; the sun was shining and the birds were chirping cheerfully. As I sat, savouring the fine weather, an employee at Starbucks named Christina approached me and asked if she could sit down. Seeing no reason why I should decline, I quickly assented to her request.

I had already marked when giving my order how bright and cheerful this young woman had been when serving me. I discovered in conversation with her that she was 20 years old and had been working at Starbucks for about four years. A trained barista, she said she wanted to be a teacher someday in English and History. I was suitably encouraging, finding myself charmed by her youthful presence and ready smile. She left a short while later to return to work. "See you on Monday," she said as she went.

Later, as I walked home, I reflected that I had made what could be an important new contact, one that was already leading to a more friendly and welcoming environment. It was pleasant to think about my brief meeting with my new acquaintance.

No comments: