Thursday, March 13, 2008

Notes on the Starbucks Experience

I had intended to visit Destination Cafe today, which was hosting a drop-in from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm, but my plans got changed at the last moment. I hope that I will be able to attend next week.

Have been going to Starbucks quite a lot lately, as there is an outlet fairly close to where I live. I read somewhere that -- in terms of dollar value -- Starbucks is the most popular brand of coffee in the U.S. (and perhaps in Canada as well). But I also read that in terms of sheer volume, Maxwell House takes home the prize as the most popular coffee.

Given the relatively high prices that Starbucks charges to the public, this fact is not surprising to me. But it would be interesting to know where and how Starbucks purchases its coffee, as well as its manufacturing methods. I will try to do some more research at a later date and let the reader know.

Purists might argue that what Starbucks sells the most is not really true coffee at all, but rather coffee-based drinks that are flavored with all manner of confections and dressings. I have some sympathy for this view myself. But there is no doubt that Starbucks has carved a definite niche out for itself. In a society that has become increasingly affluent and hungers for variety and new experiences, Starbucks stands out as a company that successfully caters to such a market.

No comments: